Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Japan: Kyoto

Somehow, with the craziness of Mud Festival, trips to Sokcho, Suwon, various hiking expeditions, and of course the ever-present Hong-Dae I never wrote about Kyoto.  Which, ironically, was by far my most favorite city I have been to so far while travelling, and my favorite city in Japan (which included a temple stay)! Tokyo had the amazing people, sights, and good food, but Kyoto held the history, and I was anxious to get there.





It started off with what was a good plan on paper and not-so-ideal in real life.  Like most plans made for logistics and not comfort, it maximized my time there. So no: I do not regret trying to sleep on a midnight bus from Tokyo to Kyoto, then trying to find a secret place to nap (and failing) until the city woke up.

The bus and train station in Kyoto is absolutely beautiful with amazing restaurants and a truly wonderful visitor center I highly recommend.  Unfortunately, it didn't open until 9 a.m. so I had three hours to kill.  I threw my luggage in a locker and walked to the nearest temple, which happened to be (as would most everything I saw) embedded in a deep and fascinating history.  With the help of Johnnie, an self-professed ancient man who's been leading tours in the area for about a million years, I learned all I needed to know (and maybe a little more that didn't really matter)  Still, well worth the 2,000 yen.  (http://web.kyoto-inet.or.jp/people/h-s-love/)

My favorite place was the Gion District, with its old alley ways and wooden buildings.  Within the old structures, there are English-friendly menus, jazz clubs, and delicious food.  It's right on a river, with a canal running down the main street as well, and the sunsets were beautiful.

There's an old theater, and an interesting geisha show that depicts all the different talents a geisha learns (with brochures in every language, which was great for the German friends I made at the hostel).  It was in this area that I made sure to take a tea ceremony class, which I rudely interrupted and overall failed as a geisha.  I was much better at the sake tasting.

Gion is also a good area for getting the subway and buses, which I immediately took to the Fushimi Inari Shrine, Kinkakuji (Golden Temple), and Ninnaji Temple, and Arashiyama (with its bamboo forest and monkey park). 

In the end, I was in Kyoto for four days, but learned and experienced so much I remember it as a journey.  It was a perfect blend of old and new, modern and traditional, urban and suburban.  I can't wait to do it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment