Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hangman and Oragami

Lucy being Lucy
Today was the first round of tests I've ever given in my life, and maybe it's being a recent graduate, but I felt so incredibly bad. 

"Teacher. So long!"
"Teacher. I don't know!"
"Teacher. So many!"
"I know! I'm sorry," I replied to an awkward silence where they looked at eachother and tried to figure out whether I was being sincere or a total jerk.  Most just started the test after that without complaint.


No matter how long they thought the test was, however, every class had extra time to play.  My first class decided to act like ninjas and just be adorable in general.  I specifically brought my iPhone to class to record Tae-Gyu, which may be the most adorable little child on the planet.  First of all, he's the smartest kid in the class by a long-shot.  He "misbehaves" by making perfectly clever and appropriate jokes in his second language, English.  Secondly, he has two phrases: "Easy peezy lemon squeezy Brianna Teacher" and "I'm a smart monkey".   Unfortunately he absolutely refused to be taped, uncharacteristically hiding under the desk as soon as my camera came out.  So until I convince him otherwise know this: he isthe one that has trademarked my nickname as "Banana Teacher."

My second class, after finishing the test, non-chalantly started making flowers for me out of orgami.  It's just something they do. 

"Teacher, Lily or Rose or maybe Sunflower?"
I told them that very few people can just make whatever they want out of paper, let alone take requests.  "But then Brianna Teacher what do they do?" they asked bewildered.

Another one of my classes could play whatever game they wanted in the entire world, but they insisted on playing Hangman which is actually a great game for practicing English and spelling.  They are kids, so naturally they are passionate about everything, from who did something first, (from who should be able to line up first to who raised their hand first) to how many times someone has caused a team loss.  Every action comes with an equal--if not completely unjustified--reaction.  That being said a word of advice: when playing Hangman, do NOT guess the letter "Q".  The chances that letter is included is nearly impossible, and a "Q" guess will ignite the wrath of a couple of 10 year-olds if you cost them an arm or a leg (literally).  So being the amazing jerk that I am, I had them trying to guess "quilt".  No one had the courage to guess the letter, and they prefered to lose instead.  Then Seo-Yoon went.


Her final answer...

No comments:

Post a Comment